Thursday, November 1, 2007

The "Problem of Pain"

The "problem of pain" is one that has plagued philosophers, theologians, and well, mankind, since...the beginning...
That is, the question of how can a loving God allow such terrible pain and suffering in the world?
It's definitely something I have wrestled with over the years. Well, I'm a part of a reading group, and the book is "Where is God When it Hurts?" by Philip Yancey. So far, I'm finding it an excellent read. He starts from a scientific look at pain, from a biological standpoint. Then he progresses to nonphysical pain, and eventually proposes a distinction between "pain" and "suffering." For example, people with leprosy actually feel no pain, yet suffer terribly. On the other hand, some pain is for useful purposes and does not necessarily create real suffering.

He confronts (insufficient) answers that are often given as a blanket response to suffering, such as "God is trying to tell you something" or "you're lacking faith and have stepped outside of God's will" or "you need to learn to embrace the suffering, it's what's best for you."

I'm only a third of the way through the book, but I'm eager to continue reading and pondering. This has caused me to look forward to my bus rides!

If you're interested in discussing this topic or in finding out the author's conjecture, feel free to email me...

No comments: