Monday, October 29, 2007

Bank Holiday and Dublin Marathon

Today was a bank holiday. Not really celebrating anything in particular, just a reason for a break. (I guess when the US needs these, they tack on some meaning, such as Labor Day, President's Day, etc...but the Irish don't need a reason for good "Craic"!)*
It always falls on the last Monday of October. Actually, it's become sort of a Halloween holiday, not officially, but the timing is so near. Students (or "pupils" as they call them here) get the entire week off for mid-term break.
It's also the day that the adidas Dublin City Marathon is always held. Since I haven't trained for the race but wanted to be involved, I volunteered to "marshal" the spectators near the finish line. (I also got an awesome adidas running jacket and cap.) I've never been at the finish line of a race like this in time to see the winners. I'm either running in it, or watching a friend run somewhere else. So it was fun to see the elite runners cruise across the finish line, the first man at 2:09:07, first lady at 2:29:20. (Both were Russians...I could create a pun with that, but I won't...) It was a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky, and about 50 degrees.
Anyhow, seeing the look on the runners faces, looking into their eyes, was a powerful experience--there was a gradual change in the demeanor of the persons crossing as the time passed. I saw victory, focus, pride, amazement, weariness, pain, fear, laughter at the absurdity of what they've done, misery, sickness, weeping, dazed and confused, delirious, more pain. Regardless, each person who crossed that finish line is undoubtedly a transformed person after the training and accomplishment fulfilled today.

* Craic is Irish for "fun, enjoyment, light-hearted mischief".

No comments: