Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pumpkins

Evidently, pumpkins only recently arrived in Ireland. Just a few years ago, they were carving jack-o-lanterns out of turnips! Yes, turnips. And forget looking for canned pumpkin in the stores--it is a staple in my pantry in the US, as I love pumpkin bread--people look at me like I'm crazy when I ask where the canned pumpkin is.
Meanwhile, this season just isn't Fall without pumpkin bread baking in the oven...so I bought a real pumpkin and made some bread from it (just to see if I could...and to save my canned pumpkin that a friend mailed me from TX for times of the year when the whole pumpkins are no longer in the stores.) It turned out okay, but a somewhat different taste and texture. I prefer the canned version, not to mention it is much easier!

No comments: