Sunday, October 21, 2007

Remembering Past Days in London

I sat outside the house where I lived in 1999 and remembered what a formative experience that time studying in London had been. Actually, it was in the Fall, just as now, so now I could even feel the same weather and sensations in the air. I remember the excitement I had about living abroad. I loved exploring the city and traveling with every opportunity. This is when I gained a sense of confidence and independence. I had never previously really embraced life as a single adult in a big city, and so there I was having such freedom and so much adventure at my fingertips--for me to decide what, where, and when I was going to do something. I realized then that it was up to me to seize every opportunity—academically, culturally, spiritually, relationally. I could pursue what I wanted, be anything, go anywhere (by God's grace)—the whole world had opened up to me. Yes, eight years ago this is what planted the seeds that enabled me to go and do and be who I am now.

I remember the day I left London, it was so sad, as I wondered if I’d ever be back. I behaved as if I wouldn’t be. As far as I knew, I was returning to school in Alabama, and otherwise had family in Texas. Back then I was working on my Bachelor's degree, having no idea I would ever pursue, much less have completed, a Ph.D. at this point...and little did I know then that now I’d be living in Dublin, working in London...indeed it is so interesting to have these moments of looking back, reflecting on where we've come from, where we're going, and all the formative experiences that have helped to shape who we are--fostered our desires, developed our character, challenged our worldview, instilled a sense of calling or purpose in life...

In some sense, I feel like I've come full circle. I am somehow at another crossroads in life. (Are these two geometric figures of speech conflicting or is it okay to use them as I have...?)
There I sat, in the same place--geographically, seasonally, metaphorically--yet from a different angle. And similar questions arise...I am wondering what the next adventure is that life will bring?

No comments: