Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Banking

I went to the bank last week and turned in my application along with the letter verifying my employment and address of residence...they said it was not necessary to deposit any money, which I find a bit odd, but oh well. They said my application had to go to the money laundering office and it would be several days before it got processed, so I should come back then to get my account number.
So yesterday I returned, but they said the letter was not suitable, as it stated my employment as starting on Sept. 1, so they cannot open an account until then. But they said if I got the letter revised such that that sentence was simply deleted, then it would be fine. So I did this...but then bank here is only open from 10:30am-4:00pm, so I had to wait until today to provide the modified letter. Then after waiting a few hours, I was told that everything was approved, so I should expect my personal access code, debit card and cheques (basically everything I need in order to make use of this account...I can't wire money from the US until I have the personal access code) to arrive by post the middle of next week.

Meanwhile, they do not offer credit cards until you have an account with them for 3 months. So I'm stuck with using my US credit card that has a 3% foreign transaction fee, and my US ATM card that charges a fee every time I withdraw money...

No comments: