Saturday, August 25, 2007

Cheers!

"Cheers." This is a word I will soon become accustomed to saying in place of "thanks" or "have a nice day." In the past, I've only used "cheers" when raising a glass with others, but here it is said at the grocery store when saying good-bye/thanks to the cashier, or when getting of the phone with a customer service representative, or to the bus driver, or the waitress at your table, it pops up everywhere. I think when this starts rolling off my tongue, we'll know I've become a true European.
Other words and their synonyms:
"trolly"=grocery cart/basket
"post"= mail (noun, verb, or adjective). For example, "will you post this for me?" "where is the post box?" "has the post arrived yet?"
"tip"=dump (where all the refuse/garbage/trash is taken)
"lodgment"=deposit. This sounds to me like something related to housing/accomodation, like a cabin I'd stay at in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Here one lodges money in the bank and can use a lodgment slip to deposit money in a bank other than their own.

No comments: