Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Potatoes

Ireland. The land of potatoes.
Chinese Restaurants ask if you want your dish with rice or chips (fries). Huh? The Chinese do not eat their food with chips...but here we see an adaption to suit the culture's preference. Rather fascinating, I think.
In a pub I ordered traditional Irish stew, which the menu said comes with two vegetables on the side. When my plate arrived I discovered the vegetables were mashed potatoes and new potatoes.

In other cafes, an entree comes with your choice of salad. This usually means either cole slaw or potato salad. I'm craving salad with...lettuce. For those of you businessmen out there, I think there is a definite need for a soup & salad place here.

Meanwhile, the Irish know how to make some tasty quiche and scones!

No comments: