Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Debit Card

Recall: I applied for a bank account two weeks ago, then one week ago was told that my account is ready and that my debit card and further information will be sent in the mail this week, by Wednesday (today). Indeed, I have received 4 letters. One contained my debit card. Another my cheques. Another the PIN number. Another the PAC (personal access code). These private passwords are not typed, they are hidden behind a sticker that you must peel off, then place the paper against a white paper and see through this screen to discover a secret code that becomes visible. Jeepers, such lengths they go to for protection...yet they didn't require me to put any money in the account to open it, no minimum balance for it to exist.
Anyhow, I excitedly went online to order my broadband, so that process would be in motion. Where it asks for the card number, I typed the predominant number on the card--the 19 digit, large size number sprawled across the front. An error came up saying it was invalid. I tried again. Same error. (By the way, I think it is a bit unusual to have a 19 digit number...this is prime, not divisible by anything, hence not conducive to writing it in 3 blocks of the same length...why not have 18 digits? 3 blocks of 6...)
So I examined the card more closely and found a smaller size number--both in length and font--at the bottom of the card. 7 digits. Indeed, it was labeled "card number." So I typed it. Again an error that this is an invalid card number. Hmmm. There is also another 8-digit number on the card, but I had already learned that this is the bank routing number, so I didn't try it.
Then it dawned on me that I hadn't activated the card yet, so perhaps that was the problem. So I called the activation number listed with my letters for the PIN and PAC. The recording prompted me to input my 8-digit registration number. What the heck is that? I frantically looked through the letters for another number, counted the numbers on my debit card, nothing corresponded to this registration number needed. So after failed attempts, I was connected to a live voice, who was a bit stern as if I was trying to use a card that isn't my own.
She asked my 8-digit registration number, to which I responded "yes, what is that??" She said it should arrive in the mail in the next few days. So I am back to waiting on The Irish System...
Meanwhile, I took advantage of this live person to ask about the "card number" I should type in for online purchases. She said it is the small 7-digit number at the bottom of my card. I asked what the larger, 19-digit number is, and she didn't know. Rather interesting, yes?

1 comment:

Aamir said...

I love how you're always thinking math terms. Glad to see you're enjoying life across the pond!