Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Metric System

I've kept in mind the switch to Celsius from Fahrenheit.
I anticipated the use of kilometers instead of miles (though many people do speak in terms of miles), so the driver going 100 km/h didn't scare me as much as if I'd thought it was 100 mi/h.
However, I forgot about the switch to kilograms from pounds. So I've been thinking the grocery prices were outrageous. Bananas--1.50. Broccoli--3.00. Tomatoes--3.80. These are in Euro, so in my head I'd convert to dollars, just for entertainment, and be shocked at the thought of paying over $5 per lb of tomatoes. But ahhh, this is the price per kilogram! There are approximately 2.2 lb per kg, so this makes the prices a bit more reasonable. Whew.
Also, one cannot buy a gallon of milk. One buys a litre, at most a 2-litre container. Not a quart of something, but a pint.
I still need some work with cooking from these recipes on the back of containers...no longer will it instruct me to use 1 cup of something, but rather 100 grams or so. I'm going to have to post a conversion chart somewhere handy...otherwise, my bread will never turn out right. Actually, I've managed so far by using ratios (2 parts this to 1 part that), but I expect this will only take me so far...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need a kitchen scale with grams. =-P -Danielle