Thursday, August 16, 2007

Brilliant

The Irish use various words and phrases I'm not so accustomed to using, but I am enjoying the chuckles it arouses within me, and I'm unknowingly incorporating them into my speech.
"Brilliant" is one. I think whenever we usually say "great," as a filler or something, they are using "brilliant."
"Grande" is another, used interchangeably with brilliant.
"Ghastly."
"Simply horrid."
"Dreadful."
"Fortnight." Now this is the one that appears everywhere--
newsletters come fortnightly, groups meet fortnightly, paychecks come fortnightly, rent is due fortnightly. What length of time is this referring to? It is the unit of time for 14 nights. Evidently it is only used in Great Britain and some Commonwealth countries. I guess "bi-weekly" is the closest we come to such in the US?
"Carriageway"=main road, like our "highway."
"Ring me"=call me on the phone.
"Half-nine" (or whatever number applicable) = 9:30. Someone tells me to meet at half-seven, and I'm not sure whether it means half an hour until 7 or half after 7...I have learned that it always means half after, 7:30. Now that certainly doesn't mean the person will arrive at half after, for the Irish are quite laid back...

(I realize this blog will contain generalizations and stereotypes that are not applicable to all Irish...but in mathematical terms, perhaps we can say the set does not have measure zero...)

There are many more words, I'll try to keep a list...

No comments: