Friday, September 28, 2007

Irish Germs

Well, it seems this American girl does not have the right immunity for Irish Germs, or else they're much more potent than the tame ones in the States. (I'm not sure these are the appropriate words for germs, but you get the idea...) I very rarely get sick in the US, very rarely. However, I have come down with "something" twice within 5 weeks. Not very fun...
I suppose the weather could be a factor--I wake up with my nose frozen each morning (though my bed is nice and warm, piled high with wool blankets and a duvet, so heavy that I can barely roll over--nice and cozy!). It seems the radiator heaters in this house are only on between 7-9am and 7-10pm. When I step outside, the wind hits me with a mighty thrust, I walk in the cold to my bus and wait tensely until I am rescued by a vehicle packed with teenagers in their cute school uniforms--girls in pleated plaid skirts, knee-high socks, deck shoes, cardigan sweaters, boys in dress pants, ties, and sweaters. When I enter my office, I burn up and must take off my layers to a short-sleeved shirt.
Or someone has suggested it could be the water. Perhaps there are different microbes in the water here. Or perhaps it's simply the strand of germs bred in Ireland. Well, I'll build up my immunity and show them who's boss.
In the meantime, I'll sit here with a hot water bottle in my chair, wearing a scarf and sipping on some hot water, with a box of tissues by my side, typing away on this blog...spreading more germs on my keyboard...

No comments: