Sunday, September 16, 2007

Rugby World Cup

Last night Ireland played Georgia in the Rugby World Cup. People here are really consumed with the game and tournament, much like Americans would be around the Super Bowl time, I suppose. Well, I know next to nothing about rugby, except that it's sort of between of soccer and American football... But from what I can tell, rugby is a much more dangerous and difficult sport than American football--they certainly aren't wearing the padding like the American football guys have! I watched about 10 minutes of the game as I passed through a hotel lobby--wow, they are throwing guys in the air like cheerleaders to catch the ball! At other times there are packs of players pushing into each other for possession, and then later big tackles...this is pretty intense and exciting to watch. I need to go study up on the rules and terminology so that I can better participate in this cultural experience! I have to admit, it was also quite entertaining watching all the Irish men in their formal evening attire at the hotel go crazy cheering on the team. :)

By the way, Ireland won: 14-10.

No comments: