Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tea? Coffe?

I've definitely gotten into drinking more tea and coffee here. It's just what you do, morning, afternoon, evening, a very social thing.
Now then, whenever I've made a new friend and they arrange a place for us to meet (since I don't yet know the good spots), it's often been Starbucks. Eh? I guess they think they I'd be comforted by familiarity?
Anyhow, yesterday I'd had already enough caffeine to last me a week, so when I was to meet a friend at Starbucks that evening, I decided I'd get some herbal tea. I knew I was running with another friend at 6:30am this morning, so I didn't want to be kept awake. In US custom, the Starbucks person would ring up the bill, then ask precisely which tea I'd like, point me to the containers, I'd choose and it would be placed in the cup of hot water. Simple enough, and I naively expected the same to be done here. But before I knew it, I was given black tea, teabag already dropped in. Where'd my choice go? We Americans like choice. Oh well, it seems it is assumed when one asks for tea, one wants black tea!

Meanwhile, previously, when my mother was visiting, she had ordered water with our lunch at some cafe and was brought a cup of boiling hot water, like for tea. Fun times...

Oh, I am loving the digestive biscuits--the cookies served with tea/coffee. McVities chocolate covered are my favorite...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those chocolate digestives, too. Sure miss them ):

Alistair Windsor said...

No American can complain about what you get when you order tea. Try and order tea here and you get Lipton Iced Tea. My friend ordered tea in the evening and got iced tea. He drank it but then called over the waiter and said "Actually I wanted hot tea." "Hot Tea?" exlaimed the waiter. "Hot tea." confirmed my friend. The brought him coffee.

I violently object (you remember my carefully considered and well reasoned positions) to herbal tea. Tea is the plant from which you make black, green, and smoked oolong teas.

Celtic Cryppie said...

Haha, great story!

Well, since tea seems to mean everything from hot water to coffee, why not throw some herbs or flowers in as well...